Smart meters are the next generation of digital electricity meter that will bring many benefits to the customer, the economy and the environment.
Currently, your electricity meter is manually read by ESB Networks up to four times per year. Smart Meters are able to record your consumption more frequently and automatically send your meter readings to ESB Networks.
- As the meters are read automatically estimated bills will be a thing of the past.
- You will have access to more information allowing you to manage your electricity usage and make more informed choices.
- We anticipate that by 2021 new products and services will enable you to shift some of your consumption to off peak times of day when electricity is cheaper.
- In the future, functionality within the meter will allow ESB Networks to find faults quicker and manage the safety of your meter more efficiently.
- Smart meters will support the migration towards a carbon free electricity network and will enable smart grids, e-cars, local renewable generation and microgeneration.